Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Reflections on: Zull: From Brain to Mind (Part Three)



Chapter Three: Finding Freedom, Finding the Joy

            In the third chapter of his book, From Brain to Mind Zull focuses on how learning takes place through action but learning is driven by emotion. Zull opens with a narrative about a time when he had to teach himself a theory and the struggles that came with teaching himself. Zull stumbled upon the realization that the struggle is worth it because in the end he felt true happiness in overcoming a difficult task and learning something on his own accord. I feel Zull would approve of the idea of students working on their own, and teachers differentiating their instruction to meet the needs of their students.  For me, my two most impactful sections were, “Mistakes and Joyful Education,” and “Do Front Cortex Things,” because as a secondary teacher I can immediately imagine an impact on our students if our school implemented this philosophy.
            In the section “Mistakes and Joyful Education” Zull espouses the idea that students should struggle, and be allowed to struggle. In fact, he even states teachers should be concerned if a student is not making any mistakes.  I love the idea of trial and error in education. I feel as long as a student is not demoralized with repeated failures it is so beneficial for them to learn how to overcome failure and learn the joys of success and hard work. 
This past school year I was working with a student on a story in which they had to write about the day in the life of a middle school student who was the opposite gender of them. So boys had to write about a girl’s day and vice versa. The goal in my mind was to teach them how author’s use different perspectives in their writing and how when you write you need to use details and other clues to help the reader picture the story.  This young male student wrote a very generic story about a girl, and normally he is a very strong writer but this was not his best writing. During a conference I asked him what was going on, and he said that he didn’t know “girl stuff” and wanted me to help him. So I told him no. This was shocking to him. But I told him if he kept trying I would help. Eventually after another draft or two, he was able to flesh out his character.  At the end of the year I usually give the kids a survey to fill out and he said that this story was his favorite because he worked so hard on it. I think Zull would say that it was his favorite because he found the joy in his work. He expected me to tell him what to write and instead he found it himself and gained confidence as a writer.
The second takeaway for me in chapter three was the section “Do Front Cortex Things.”  This past year I have been lucky enough to be put in an unofficial coaching role in my school. I still have classes but I lead professional developments and work with teachers on a variety of subjects. One piece of advice I keep telling teachers is, “choice, choice, choice.” I have seen the benefits in my own room, and this year I was able to see the benefits in other disciplines as well. I try hard to allow my students a choice in an existing framework as Zull mentioned and I have really seen my students flourish.  This past year I made my AP students do an independent literature project in which they were required to read additional novels outside of the class novel and write about it, and discuss it with peers in the class. I was hesitant that I would receive a lot of pushback from my students because of the additional workload of yet another book and paper, but was pleasantly surprised to find out most of the enjoyed the assignment. As the year went on they regularly commented on how they liked reading at their own pace, and having the ability to pick a text from a list, instead of being told what to read. When reading this chapter, it was hard not to think of my AP class, and how well they responded to the choice and how it will (hopefully) positively impact their AP scores. 
I know creating an environment where students can struggle, sometimes fail, and have choice can be challenging and sometimes even daunting but the benefits far out way the work.  I always feel as though my fall and early winter are chaotic because I am establishing my routines and creating a safe environment for kids to fail. But I have noticed each year as I get better at teaching my late winter and spring slow down and my colleagues speeds up. Students get bored in other classes and behavior issues arise. This is not to say I have no behavior problems or that I am a master teacher but I truly feel that a lot of my successes have come from giving students choices in what they work on, and allowing them to work through failures. I understand now that Zull would back this assertion because the brain is actually rewarding my students and intrinsically motivating them to do better and learn more.

 Throughout this chapter I kept thinking of my struggling learners. Specifically, how we (meaning educators) eliminate options for them, and try to spoon feed them answers because school is too hard, or they are behaviorally difficult. I wonder how we can take the ideas Zull presents and apply it to students who struggle at an early age and try to “catch” them before they fall through the cracks?  I don’t have an answer but I do feel a new sense of purpose for the upcoming year in trying to figure out a way to reach my struggling learners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment