Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Reflections on: Zull: From Brain to Mind (Part Two)

Chapter Two: A Journey

                Zull’s second chapter focuses on discovery and action. More specifically how one mimics and action or skill until he or she can master the task.  As in chapter one Zull weaves in a narrative about a formative educational experience in his own life. This narrative serves as connective tissue throughout the text for the reader to understand the difficult topics Zull tackles in the chapter. In my opinion, the biggest takeaways from this chapter came from the sections: Action is for the Learner, Talk to Learn and finally the section, Write.
            One of the earliest sections of chapter two entitled Action is for the Learner, hit home for me as we wrap up another school year. I thought Zull’s line, “Action is a test of learning, but only the learner can know the motive or the outcome of the test.” was important and something I think would require many of my colleagues to stop in their tracks. A lot of my peers focus so much time and energy into having our students master the PSSAs and Keystones that the students are unaware of why they need to know something. The answer is always “it’s on the test” which I am not advocating we don’t prepare our students for testing I am just saying that we can go too far and only prepare them for a test. A good reader, writer and thinker will pass the test, but a good test taker may not be able to read, writer or think. I feel that Zull advocates throughout this chapter for an education system that places more emphasis on why a student is learning something and less emphasis on what did they learn, or what can they mimic back. Did the lesson stick with them or is it simply just a task needed to master before they can leave the grade, or graduate?
            The second biggest takeaway for me in this chapter came towards the end of the chapter in the sections, “Talk to Learn” and “Writing”. In these sections Zull discusses the role of talking and writing and the impact of discussion and writing on a person’s education. In the section “Talk to Learn” Zull uses a vignette of a carpenter talking himself through a problem as a way to show the benefits of talking in the classroom.  This struck a chord with me because I have a classroom has been described to me by a peer as “busy” which I took as a euphemism for “why are your kids talking so much and moving around.” This came a day before one of my formal observations from my principal. So needless to say when the observation came and my class was “busy” I got extremely nervous. During our post-observation conference my principal had extremely nice things to say about how great it was to see the students excited about a topic, and working with energy on an academic assignment.  She said that some of her observations are so boring because the kids just sit there and copy notes. The sense of relief I felt afterwards was enormous.  I know, from conferencing with my students, talking through their writing has benefited my students. They have told me that when they talk through the topic they feel their writing is stronger and better organized than when they have to construct a piece of writing on their own. They love to “bounce ideas” off of one another.  
            The final takeaway for me is closely connected to talking and that is writing.  I loved the line, “I propose that learners should write for the explicit purpose of thinking.”  I could not agree with Zull more.  I feel that especially in older grades writing has become a lost art.  Teachers in other disciplines do not teach writing, because that is what English is for, and even more commonly, it is hard to teach and grade. Writing is time consuming. But does it have to be? The writing that Zull is proposing is not a formal writing, it is simply using language as a way to slow students down and force them to think about what they are doing. Teenagers are impulsive and what to take shortcuts (some adults to do) but writing is a task that requires you to sit and think. It requires thought, and time- two things teenagers hate. 
This year I’ve been lucky enough to lead several trainings on TDA’s at our I.U. and within my district. One of the biggest complaints I hear is about how long it is to teach the concepts needed to write a TDA.  I always tell the teachers that if you break it apart and do it repeatedly throughout the year the time it takes students will decrease, they will become masters of the task. I feel validated by this section and chapter in my statements. I feel that Zull would advocate for more reading and discussing in a classroom. Furthermore, I feel with more volume of discussion and writing the quality will go up. As long as the teacher is there to guide the students in the right direction.

Overall, I found this chapter to be very interesting. I very much enjoy how he weaves stories into the topics. For me as a reader it is much easier to follow along and apply them to my own classroom experience because of the stories. Without them I think I would feel the writing would be dry and difficult to grasp. I have enjoyed the first two chapters and look forward to the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment