Monday, July 28, 2014

Reflection seven- Spaces and Places 2


                While reading the assigned pages of Spaces and Places by Debbie Diller I was struck with more than a few ideas for my own classroom, most of which involved the classroom library and the writing stations.
                As a secondary English teacher I find students too often get prescribed reading in school.  By which I mean we as educators too often tell kids what they can or can’t read. We eliminate their input and then we wonder why they don’t ld then we wonder why they don'ids what they can or can'get prescribed reading in school.  By which I mean ove to read! Well if someone told me everything I had to read all the time…I’d hate it too. Now practically there are times when we must assign certain texts or certain articles but one thing I’ve used as a compromise is SSR.  This is the practice of allowing kids to select their own book and read independently in class. I usually allow the first ten to fifteen of class for this activity.  Once we are in the routine I allow students to move around the room and get comfortable. This is why the classroom library caught my attention. When you implement SSR into your curriculum you need to help the students by giving them access to books, and a wide variety of books.
                The first thing that jumped out at me on these pages was the genre baskets. I think this is great for three reasons.  One it is neat and saves space (a huge need in a classroom) two it helps students find books quicker (this would eliminate the student who just can’t find a book) and finally it allows students to see all the different kinds of books that are available, and make goals. They may really like fantasy books, and make a goal for themselves that they will read the basket this year.
                The second thing I liked in these pages was the comfortable reading corners. I am moving rooms this year because our building is under construction and I can’t wait to set up my reading corners. I have an old chair and an old ottoman that I can’t wait to bring in and set up. I think once kids are comfortable they will forget they are in class and be more inclined to “get into the book”. Because of the size of my students this idea is impractical but I thought the idea of the kids blow up pool was really neat. I like that because it could come out on special occasions. My only concern is how to eliminate fighting over the seats or areas. 
                In my class we focus a lot of time on writing. In my opinion writing is an essential tool for life, if you can’t put your thoughts onto paper you will struggle. So I spend a lot of time working on writing skills. So I was very interested in the writing areas. The one thing that I saw that was really cool was the peg board that had different writing tips on it. I think that this would be an extremely adaptable idea to any grade level. In the pictures they use sight words; I could use vocabulary words, or editing reminders. Students struggle with citations. This could be a way to help them.
                When it comes to desk arraignments I think the idea of groups is wonderful. It allows for easy interaction and allows students to “discover” the content together, which will make the content “stick” for the students.  The setup that I like the most is the four desks together in a large square, I like this setup because I think it is really important that as teacher I can easily get beside every desk if I need to help a student. It eliminates distractions. This way I am not reaching over other students or asking them to move.
                The final thing that I really liked in the room placement was the idea that nothing is permanent.  Even though the bare bones stay the same there are slight changes in the classroom as the year goes on. For example the back to school books, get replaced by fall books, or winter books. This keeps things fresh for students. I like that I think these little things in a class room go noticed by students, it shows you care, and that is so helpful in a classroom.
                   Before I became a teacher I was a substitute for two years. I subbed in four districts, and for every subject area. At the time I hated it…I mean really hated it. But now that I am employed I loved that experience.  I learned a lot. When you get to see many rooms, in many buildings you really can get a good idea of what you like and what you don’t like. I got to the point where I could walk in a room and even before kids got there I could tell if this was a “good” teacher or a “bad” teacher.  Just from the way the room was set up.  Some of the things I’ve seen that I really liked were a clothes line and an editing bank.  Let me explain.
                 The clothes line was hung near the class room library and the teacher used clothes pins to hang up books that were “highly recommended” to read. The students all went for those books first. It was like when you go into a book store and the new books are all in the front and center of the store and you gravitate towards those first. I thought it was a neat way to get kids reading books, which they may never have picked up.  
                The editing bank was interesting. It was a place where a student could “deposit” his or her first draft only to have it “withdrawn” by someone else for editing, this way students who were ahead could help edit other students work. Sometimes they would conference with the person too.  I thought this was an interesting idea because it motivated students to want to edit and read each other’s work without feeling like they were forced. 
                All in all I think these ideas seemed pretty simple to implement, and above all cheap. This book was helpful because these ideas are all affordable and easy. No one wants to spend hundreds of dollars on their classroom. But a few bucks here and there for an efficient classroom.  Sign me up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment