Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Reflection number one- Spaces and Places


In her book Spaces and Places Debbie Diller presents practical solutions for classroom design.  Diller’s philosophy for effective classroom design focuses on maximizing space and assigning a purpose for everything in the classroom.  This is most evident in her advice to place desks around the room last, and by her encouraging teachers to use objects around the room for more than one purpose. For example, a wooden cabinet can be painted (with permission) with magnetic tape or chalkboard tape and repurposed as a work station for students.  Diller proposes that a teacher should map out their room first, and really think about how they want their room to flow, and how they can maximize their space. She encourages this by thinking about every single object in the classroom, down to the size of the teacher’s desk. A large table can work for a small group teaching area and a large desk takes up space that could be used for a classroom library or a computer station. 
I believe Diller’s philosophy matches mine in two ways:  it puts the students first and it maximizes the options available to you in your classroom.  I work in a small district that is currently undergoing a construction project. I am moving rooms this summer and I think this chapter has been very helpful.  I really liked her idea of putting the desks around the room last and focusing on the other areas of the room. I think too often teachers place the desks in a way that is most convenient for them and not in a way that is best for their students.  Furthermore, I really liked her idea of having multiple uses for areas in the room. I teach seventh, eighth, and this year I am adding AP.  Last year, it was hard to keep areas separated and it was something I struggled with. However, upon reading this I realized it was because I really focused on where my desk would go, and where the student’s desks would go first. It was only then that I started to think about reading areas, or my classroom library.  Each day I begin class with SSR and my library is not an inviting space and I do not have open reading areas for students to get comfortable.  I am looking forward to arranging my new room with Diller’s suggestions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment