Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Little Fires Everywhere



Little Fires Everywhere, by Celeste Ng, was a fascinating look into what makes a family, and asks what does it mean to be a parent.  The novel centers around the Richardson family, and the tenets of their rental home, Mia and Pearl.  Little Fires Everywhere discusses how complicated a simple life can truly be.  The crux of the novel centers around a court case in which they have to decide the legal guardianship of an adopted child. 

For me, what made this novel so captivating was the writing. I found power in the writing. For example, after a poignant scene in which the director of a family planning clinic stands up to Mrs. Richardson the simple sentence, "in fact this was the last lunch the two women would ever have together yet they remained cordial the rest of their lives." In one sentence so much is conveyed about this world, and these characters. As readers, we don't need two or three pages of exposition describing their entire ordeal, yet in one sentence we learn so much about them. 

Excellent writing aside, I believe the mark of a great novel is one that makes you think.  And for me this novel definitely made me think. I found myself wanting to learn more and more about these characters, each chapter I learned a new wrinkle about them, and I feel like I got to know them.

My one complaint was with the end, I am not sure why, I just felt that it was rushed and needed to be fleshed out more. However, my feelings may have been influenced by the fact that I didn't want the book to end.

All in all it was a great read, that I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't made into a movie or a TV show one day. The richness of the characters and of Shaker Heights jumps off the page.   

No comments:

Post a Comment