Thursday, January 25, 2018

Long Way Down


ANAGRAM NO. 3

COOL = LOCO 


Jason Reynold's book written in verse gives the reader a surreal look into the mind of a young black male (Will) seeking revenge for his brother's murder. The whole novel, takes place on an elevator ride where along the way we meet various people from Will's past that help him decide whether or not he should avenge his brother's death. 

Enough has been written about Jason Reynolds and his novels that I don't believe I can add anything of merit to the discussion. His pacing, like that of Kwame Alexander, is unique. The musicality of his writing is evident. I could not put this book down. In a few short poems Reynolds created Will's entire world. 

As a middle school teacher in a rural area, my students don't live this life. Yet, I believe they are quick to judge and too often stereotype. I think books like this allow my students (most likely not his intended audience) to see the world through someone else's eyes. 

I have been on a Reynold's kick as of late and I want to continue to go down the rabbit hole of his writing. I think his style is so approachable that my students will love it. 

As far as my challenge goes, this is my first verse novel.  Yes I know it is a YA read, but whatever, it is great! I know that this isn't the best writing about it, but I am rushed for time. Believe me when I say you should take an afternoon and read it. 

Below is a video of his interview...I hope his passion ignites a fire in young people.    

No comments:

Post a Comment